To see how the Airport works, the Rochester International Airport (RST) now offers tours of the facility. Tours of the Rochester International Airport are designed to provide a practical link to a students academic study of transportation and careers in aviation. Upon completion of the tour, students will better understand the role an airport and aviation plays in the community, as well as the wide range of careers related to aviation.
- Tours are available to students in grades 1-12, and to any group interested in knowing more about the Rochester International Airport. Tours are tailored to each age group.
- Tours are given on Monday through Friday, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Advance reservations are required. Special times may be arranged depending on the availability of airport staff.
- Tours last approximately 1 to 2 hours, depending upon student/group interests and questions.
- One adult must accompany every five (5) children.
- Tours can accommodate groups of up to 20 people, maximum.
- Students are expected to be quiet, stay close together in a group, and promptly follow the instructions of the Tour Leader/Speaker.
- RST is accessible to the physically disabled, but please call us if you need any special arrangements.
A typical tour can include a variety of the following:
- A history of the Rochester International Airport
- Following the route of a typical departing or arriving passenger through the Terminal Building (the time of day will dictate whether or not this part of the tour is possible)
- Security Checkpoint and the role of a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) representative
- Public Safety and Security and the roles these areas perform
- Airline Ticket Counters and the role of an airline Customer Service Representative
- A visit to the Airport Fire Department to observe the firefighting apparatus, and the roles the firefighters perform daily with airport emergencies
- A visit to the Maintenance Shop to observe all the different aspects of snow equipment and the jobs that each piece of equipment performs
Tours of the Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) are not typically included in airport tours.
Airports are a noisy environment. If you or anyone in your group has hearing related health problems they are discouraged from attending the tour. If they wish to attend the tour, hearing protection is encouraged but will not be provided by the airport.
Airport Tours are weather-dependent. Scheduled tours may be cancelled at any time based on current conditions.
To request an airport tour, please complete the form below and a member of airport management will get back to you as soon as possible.