History

1928

  • The airport’s history begins in 1928, when it was originally founded in Southeast Rochester by Drs. William and Charles Mayo.
  • The airport resided on 285 acres and was owned and operated by the Mayo Foundation.

1929

  • Airfield officially dedicated as ‘Rochester Airport’.
  • Rochester Airport Company founded as a subsidiary of the Mayo Foundation.

1940

  • Rochester Airport Company improved the facility with paved runways.
  • 85 additional acres were acquired to bring total land to 370 acres.

1945

  • Mayo Foundation gave the airport to the City of Rochester because as a private corporation, Mayo was not eligible for Federal Grants for airport improvements.
  • Rochester Airport Company continued to operate the airport under an operating agreement with the City of Rochester.

1952

  • Airport was officially named ‘Lobb Field’.

1960

  • The Airport was moved to its present location and called ‘Rochester Municipal Airport’.

1995

  • Airport is renamed ‘Rochester International Airport’ with the addition of a U.S. Customs facility.

Current

  • The Airport is located on approximately 2,300 acres of land
  • 2 major air carriers with scheduled daily service, American Airlines and Delta Air Lines.
  • 1 major cargo carrier with scheduled services, Federal Express
  • Continued growth with on-airport development, including an Industrial park and Business park
  • The Rochester Airport Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Mayo Clinic – Rochester, continues to operate the airport for the City of Rochester